Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Lunch Idea - Quinoa & Black Beans

Healthy or not, lunch is difficult. Cooking for one (or one and a half in my case) is tricky. I don't want to eat salad. If I do, I'll end up eating a bunch of junk afterward. I also want lunch to be quick and easy. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen for supper and I don't want to do the same for lunch.

Aside from waiting for the Quinoa to cook, this recipe was quick (and easy). The recipe was on Eating Well's website. Again, it was found in the vegetarian menu.

original recipe

I made a few swaps:

  • Used Red Bell Pepper 
  • No onions (ran out yesterday)
  • Added three cloves of garlic (I LOVE garlic)
  • Added a few mushrooms 


  • INGREDIENTS
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons broth, (or water)
  • 1/2 cup hot cooked quinoa

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion and cook until almost tender. Add beans and broth (or water) to the pan. Cook until heated through. Stir in quinoa.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 162 (before I made my adjustments)

1 comment:

Branson said...

I am so excited you are keeping a blog with these recipes!! I hope you continue to do lots of vegetarian dishes :) I have a guest post I wrote for someone and they didn't use with my meatless sloppy joe recipe in it if you are interested! And I post links to what I am cooking for the week every Monday if you are looking for new recipes!