Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Best One Yet! -French Bread Pizza-

This is the best recipe I've posted. Cross my heart...stick a needle in my eye. It's good because it uses french bread. I know what you're thinking. Carbs are bad. Au Contraire, Mon Frère! Just don't eat too many.


The only thing that bugs me about this one is the fact that I don't get to use whole wheat bread. I'm thinking I'll use whole wheat hamburger buns next time. 


This recipe would be easy and fun for kids to help make. (Obviously, they shouldn't chop the veggies.) Also, you can easily add to or take away to make the topping the your own.


iPhone photo...doesn't do it justice
INGREDIENTS


1 c diced Roma tomato
1 c diced asparagus (I use only tips)
1 c diced red bell pepper
1 c diced green bell pepper
1 Loaf french bread
1 T minced garlic
1 jar pizza sauce (I used Ragu brand)
shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese


DIRECTIONS


  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut loaf of french bread in half length wise. Place one half on baking sheet and save the other half for whatever you want. (lunch tomorrow?)
  2. Place tomato, asparagus, bell peppers and garlic into a bowl and toss to coat everything with garlic.
  3. Slice the loaf into 4 separate pieces and spoon pizza sauce on each piece. (about 1/4 c per piece)
  4. Put your veggie mixture onto each piece (use as much or little as you want...I always have leftover and I put them into the fridge for later...great for a salad or more pizza tomorrow.)
  5. Sprinkle each slice with some cheese and put into the oven for about 10 minutes.
DONE!

Can't remember where this recipe came from but the calorie information I wrote down says 252 calories a slice. Not bad.

I promise not to post about pizza again for a while. 

2 comments:

Diane said...

Sounds good. But I don't care for asparagus. Do you think I can substitute mushrooms and onions?

Unknown said...

For sure! I was going to put mushrooms on mine, too. Then I decided I could use the extra green veggies. I prefer mushrooms.